helloo! Went to watch Hairspray with Neela, Krupa and Shiva's sis, Shivani. Yesterday at The Grand Cathay. And I looooved the movie so much! It was such a HAPPYYYYY movie.
Main Cast: John Travolta, Christopher Walken, Nikki Blonsky, Amanda Bynes, Zac Efron, Elijah Kelley, Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfieffer, Brittany Snow and James Marsden.
!!Spoiler Alert!!
Travolta played a woman. This is probably one of this movie's attractions (though not for me) coz everyone was keen to see how he did it! He's a high school kid's mom who hasn't seen the outside world for the last 13 years. I guess he/she was cute and all, but it was a little disturbing. Especially the mom-dad romance scenes : Not something I needed to see! And he/she looked a little weird. If it was supposed to be a tribute to his fame in Grease, why couldn't he have just played the dad instead! Alright, maybe he wanted to try something new. But well, I just didn't like it. I think that's why guys seem to be so anti-Hairspray - to see their action hero and cool villian (think Swordfish) play a woman is not one of the best sights in the world!
Walken was the dad. He was alright. Not a very big role, but he was all blur and nice.
Nikki Blonsky. Very commendable! This was her debut, and I won't be surprised at all if she gets many more movie offers after this. Despite her plumpness, she wowed everyone both in reel and in real life. She loooves to dance and is not afraid to! And she's got a wonderfully sweet character. And is bold enough to fight for black people. (Movie was set at 1962 when discrimation was still widely practised).
Amanda Bynes was her best friend. She was really cute and armed with a lollipop always.
Ok I realise I can't analyse all of them. The cast is too big! So maybe just one-liners.
Zac Efron - role was similar to High School Musical. He did a good job, like he'd done in HSM. And he's got lovely eyes, still. But too much make-up.
Elijah Kelley - his name in the movie was Seaweed. He had a nice character. I don't think I've seen him before in any other movie. Anyway he and Amanda Bynes get together in this movie. It's very cute. And sends out a statement - black + white relationship.
Queen Latifah - Seaweed's mom. And the host of the 'Negro' version of the Corny Collins show.
Michelle Pfieffer - villi. Typical in these kinda movies. The hot, sharp-tongued sort. And mean. Her daughter Amber was played by Brittany Snow, who's a tubelight-ish version of her mom.
James Marsden - Corny Collins. I've never seen him smile this much! But he was affable. Very different from Cyclops.
Ok that's all. Not a very good analysis, considering I said everything was typical. But maybe that's what made it fun! The integration of all these characters - plus an important message against discrimination of blacks - made this movie really interesting. It was 2 hours of pure fun, music and dance! The beats were good too. I'm gonna look for the songs.
K gymming time now :) Gonna meet Sneha and Padma for dinner later. Rachu and Aditi can't make it and NOBODY ELSE REPLIED :@ :@ HMPH.
Seeya!
2 Scribbles
R u in love or what so ever?
Hello.....
Happy birthday!
-David
Post a Comment
<< Home